Primary Purpose of Position
The Autism Coordinator is responsible for acting as a parent liaison, community advocate and parent/community educator for children that have been diagnosed on the autism spectrum and families that suspect their child may have autism. The Autism Coordinator will also adhere to all policies and procedures of the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide education, support, information and resources to parents of children 0-5 that reside in Mecklenburg County via phone or face-to-face consultation.
- Provide customize referrals with follow-up to early intervention and other related community agencies.
- Assist parents in accessing services for their child as needed.
- Assist parents in evaluating information they have located through other resources and the relevance for their child.
- Offer workshop opportunities once a month to allow families to interact with each other and with professionals from the community.
- Coordinate with Autism related organizations in Mecklenburg County to ensure they are meeting the needs of parents with children 0-5to guarantee every child has the opportunity to participate in early intervention services.
- Raise awareness of Autism and the benefit of early intervention in the community.
Parent and Community Educator
- Provide educational workshops in the community for parents, teachers or other professionals working with this targeted population.
- Assist in planning and implementing special Autism related projects
- Provide technical assistance to the Early Childhood community
- Work with organizations that support children and families
- Promote and represent Smart Start
Liaison with Charlotte Mecklenburg Library (CML)
- Provide the “Autism – A Parent’s Guide in Mecklenburg County” notebook and update materials for each library branch that houses a children’s department.
- Coordinate with local branch staff to schedule/conduct workshops for parents of the targeted population.
Education and Experience Required for Position
- Master’s Degree required in early childhood, special education or autism related field
- Valid US driver’s license
- 5 years Autism related service experience
- 5 years’ experience in a non-profit human services agency or equivalent
- Knowledge of the child care industry preferred
Qualified applicants should send resume and cover letter to LHenderson@smartstartofmeck.org.