We invite you to join us in the observation of the International Day of Charity on September 5. This special day is dedicated to recognizing the positive impact that organizations have on local communities, and Smart Start of Mecklenburg County is proud to take part.
We are incredibly grateful for all of those who have supported us in our mission to improve the lives of our youngest children this past fiscal year, despite unexpected challenges provoked by the continuing pandemic. This support allowed us to continue investments in initiatives that addressed health, early care and education (both quality and accessibility), early literacy, and family support for children ages birth to five and their families right here in Mecklenburg County.
An overview of our four-tiered strategy includes:
- Positively impact policy, practice, and investments for all children birth to five and their families
- Supportive home environment and communities for children ages birth to five
- Children are healthy and developmentally ready for kindergarten
- Children have access to high quality, nurturing early learning environments
Through our various funders, including our individual donors, a few of our many proud accomplishments during the last fiscal year include:
- Allocation of funding for FY20-21, which includes $33 million in state, county, and private funds to 18 local agencies providing 26 activities to families and children ages birth to five.
- The inaugural launch of our Partner Powered Conference, which is meant to engage, connect and inform funded service providers.
- Our four new innovation grants addressing gaps in services for families and children ages birth to five. Continue reading here to learn more about available impact data.
- Taming the Octopus, a convening to discuss the findings of our report on children with special health care needs.
As an innovator, convener, and funder of child-servicing agencies, the work Smart Start does every day directly impacts the 85,000 children ages 0-5 in our community. These advances and opportunities would not have been possible without the generosity of our funders and friends. We hope you consider Smart Start of Mecklenburg County in your International Day of Charity giving.