GUIDING PARENTS TO SERVICES (GPS)
This program is designed for Mecklenburg County parents with children 0-5 who are part of the complex, sometime frightening world of autism. The Autism Coordinator offers a range of services including; parent education, support, and referrals to early intervention services and other community agencies, monthly workshops addressing topics of interest, training to professionals in the field, and collaborations with agencies to enhance services to families.
ASSISTING PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDER
Guiding Parents to Services (GPS), a program at Smart Start of Mecklenburg County, is a navigational system offered free to families who are entering the world of autism. GPS is available to parents of young children, birth to 5, whose child is suspected of having, or has been recently diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). GPS is designed to be the first stop for families seeking to access resources, referrals, information and support for ASD. GPS connects children at risk for ASD with the services that they need.
Our goal is to provide an opportunity for parents to process the meaning and impact of autism spectrum disorders while becoming empowered to help your family on their journey toward meaningful outcomes.
WHAT GPS OFFERS
- Informational workshops on key topics.
- Parent support groups where families can connect to one another and share resources, strategies, and celebrate large and small victories.
- Referrals to early intervention and other important community agencies.
- Resource information on topics and services appropriate to the needs of families experiencing ASD.
- A parent guide containing information on referrals, red flags for ASD, interventions, best practices, links to websites and a glossary of terms.
- Training opportunities for interested parents and professionals in the community.
- A parent guidebook aimed at helping families gain basic knowledge about ASD, both before and after diagnosis.
Check the calendar for workshop topics and dates.
Each Child. Every Neighborhood.
Smart Start of Mecklenburg County
601 E. 5th Street, Suite 500
Charlotte, NC 28202